#THROWBACKTHURSDAY – Broncos vs Cardinals
Thursday Night Football in the NFL returns with 2-4 Denver Broncos vs 1-5 Arizona Cardinals. Larry Fitz These teams last played in 2014, a game the Broncos won 41-20. Peyton Manning was incredible, completing 31-47 passes, for 479 yards and 4 TD. 2 TDs went to Demaryius Thomas and the other 2 went to Julius Thomas. In addition to the 2 TDs, Thomas caught 8 passes for 226 yards. Emmanuel Sanders and Wes Welker each caught 7 passes.
Cardinals offense never clicked on this night. Drew Stanton started at QB in place of an injured Carson Palmer. He only completed 11 passes. Andre Ellington averaged 2 yards rushing per carry (16 carries, 32 yards), but did catch 4 passes for 112 yards and a TD.
Being that these teams are in opposite conferences, they only play every four years. In 2010, the Cardinals beat the Broncos 43-13. Kyle Orton was the QB of the Broncos. Knowshon Moreno was the lead RB and on this night lead receiver too (5 catches). The top WRs were Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney, and Brandon Lloyd (wow, what a team!). Cardinals RB Tim Hightower had 148 yards on 18 carries (2 TD). The two WRs opposite Larry Fitzgerald were Early Doucet and Steve Breaston. Oh yeah, and the Cardinals, who won the game scoring 43 points, won with John Skelton starting at QB.
NBA Box Score Review
Let’s take a look at the top 10 box scores from Wednesday (not the 10 best, but 10 notable)
- Knicks undrafted rookie Allonzo Trier played 26 minutes in his debut and scored 15 points on 5-9 shooting in a win over the Hawks
- Pelicans forwards Nikola Mirotic and Julius Randle combined for 55 points and 18 rebounds, alongside Anthony Davis (32/16/8) in a win over the Rockets
- Cedi Osman started at SF for the Cavs (replacing you know who) and scored a career high 17 points and 10 rebounds in a loss to Raptors
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker led all scorers with 41 points in a loss to the Bucks
- Andre Drummond scored 24 with 20 rebounds in a Pistons win over the Nets
- Boban Marjanovic, the 7’3 Yugoslavian, had 18 points, 8 rebounds off the bench for the Clippers
- Suns guard Devin Booker was serenaded with MVP chants after scoring 35 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds in a win over the Mavs
- In that same game, 2019 Rookie of the Year Luka Doncic debuted and scored 10 points (on 5-16 shooting), 8 rebounds, 4 assists
- Karl Anthony Towns had only 8 points and 9 rebounds for the Wolves, a guy who just signed a max contract and is entering year 4 should not have that underwhelming of a game
- Don’t count out the Spurs yet, who beat the Wolves – Demar Derozan led the way wit 28 points and Lamarcus Aldridge had 21 points, 19 rebounds
NBA HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT
— NBA (@NBA) October 18, 2018
1998 NBA Draft Recap
41 year old Vince Carter started at SF for the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday. Carter was drafted in 1998, along with Dirk Nowitzki. In honor of throwback Thursday, let’s look back at what else, beyond Carter, made this draft so notable.
- Michael Olowokandi is one of the greatest NBA draft busts in NBA history. Drafted #1 overall by the Clippers. Remarkably his career lasted 11 years. His career ended with averages of 8.3 ppg and 6.8 rpg
- Antawn Jamison last played in 2014 and he was teammates with Carter at UNC
- Other notables in this class included Paul Pierce at #10, Rashard Lewis in second round
- 3 different coaches were produced by this draft class – Ty Lue (Cavs), Bryce Drew (Vanderbilt), Miles Simon (Lakers assistant coach)
- 2 front office execs were produced by this draft class – Sean Marks (Nets GM), Pat Garrity (Pistons asst GM)
CRAZY STAT OF THE DAY
The Rams started 6-0 each season from 1999-2001.During those 3 years, they were 0-3 in getting to 7-0. Will they finally get off the schneid and beat the 49ers to get to 7-0?
VIDEO OF THE DAY
This Saturday’s College Gameday on ESPN is going to be remarkable. For 15 years, the Washington State Cougars flag has flown at gameday and finally this weekend, Pullman, Washington plays host to everyone’s favorite pre-game.
— Cougar Sports Network (@CougSportsNet) October 17, 2018
QUOTE OF THE DAY
In honor of Derek Anderson debuting and starting for the Bills this weekend, this video seems relevant.
— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) October 17, 2018
Dodgers beat the Brewers to take a 3-2 series lead. Series shifts back to Milwaukee, where it wouldn’t be crazy to think they could win both games, but it won’t be easy.
Red Sox came from behind and beat the Astros 8-6, to take a 3-1 lead. We’ve seen 3-1 leads get blown in recent years, but there is a reason why the Red Sox won 108 games. It wasn’t by accident. The World Series will be set before the end of this weekend.