MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL RECAP
Yawn. This game was kind of a stinker. But here’s a few thoughts/questions coming out of it
- What on earth was Giants coach Pat Shumur doing, down 20-12, going for two points? An extra point makes it a 7 point game… I don’t understand that decision
- Even worse – they called back-to-back QB sneaks with Eli Manning. Under one minute to go, clock running, need two scores, Giants wasted so much time. I don’t know if that’s coaching or Eli going rogue, but just awful execution.
- I also don’t understand why or how it is possible that Julio Jones still has zero touchdowns
- Do people really think the Jaguars should trade for Eli Manning? Eli would absolutely not be an upgrade over Blake Bortles and incredibly it would leave the Giants even worse off than they already are
- The win for the Falcons might be season-saving. They are now 3-4 heading into the byes. Their defense has been absolutely ravaged by injuries. If they can use the off week to make some adjustments and fix some holes, they can go on a run in the second half and battle for that last Wild Card spot
- Saquon Barkley is good. Like very, very good.
- The Giants aren’t a QB away from being a great team – what if they draft Houston DT Ed Oliver with their high 2019 draft pick, tank 2019 to draft Alabama QB Tua Tagailovia in 2020? Just a thought
HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS
Less than 24 hours after losing their 4th game of the season and looking absolutely lifeless on offense, the Dallas Cowboys traded their 2019 first round draft pick to the Raiders for former first round WR Amari Cooper. Cooper is just 24 years old and has struggled heavily with drops the last couple of seasons, after starting his career out strong. Much has been made about the Cowboys poor receiving group and Cooper, despite the criticism gives Dak Prescott the legitimate #1 receiving option that he most definitely needs. Will this move make a big enough impact to push the Cowboys into the playoffs? That will be the answer to the hindsight question of it sacrificing a first round pick was worth it. Are the Redskins really that good? Are the Eagles destined to cruise through the season on auto pilot? Despite Sunday’s terrible loss to the Redskins, it seems feasible that the Cowboys could play themselves back into the NFC East race, but time is running out.
KNICKS ARE IMPROVING
This is the easiest way to express it. The Knicks lost to the Bucks on Monday, falling to 1-3 on the young season but no Knicks fan should be upset. It’s okay to be disappointed as the team fought hard in each game and the first two games came down to the final possession (Nets and Celtics). It’s encouraging that the team is finally committed to developing young players (like Noah Vonleh, for example, who has been amazing). Losing by a couple points with Frank Ntilikina, Noah Vonleh, Damyean Dotson, Allonzo Trier, Trey Burke, and Kevin Knox on the floor is actually kind of exciting. It’s better than losing by 10 with Michael Beasley, Jarrett Jack and Doug McDermott. David Fizdale was clearly the right choice as head coach and signs are (FINALLY) encouraging and pointing upwards for the Knicks, despite the losses.
5 Other NBA Observations
- Are the Lakers in trouble? I don’t think so, not yet, even at 0-3. It was always going to take some time for the Lakers to settle in and get comfortable playing with each other. They have also managed to play three 2018 playoff teams (Blazers, Rockets, Spurs) so they haven’t exactly had it easy. Still, scoring 142 points as they did Monday night should almost always ensure a victory. But in this case it didn’t because they allowed 143. Lebron went for 32, 14 rebounds, 8 assists and Kyle Kuzma stepped up in Brandon Ingram’s absence (suspended) and scored a career high 37 points.
- Kawhi Leonard is healthy and playing outstanding, leading the Raptors to a 4-0 start
- Life comes at you fast – after 4 straight NBA Finals appearances, the Lebron James-less Cavs are 0-3 and lost to the lowly Hawks over the weekend
- Jayson Tatum might actually be the best player on the Boston Celtics, despite the presence of Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward. Amazing that Danny Ainge managed to get him AND a 2019 Kings lottery pick for Markelle Fultz. Forget the Bryan Colangelo (ousted Sixers GM) burner account story, the dude should be fired for that trade alone. Imagine having Tatum with Simmons and Embiid?? Tatum is averaging 21 ppg, 10 rpg.
- Could Billy Donovan be the first head coach fired in 2018? The Thunder are 0-3, granted they didn’t have Russell Westbrook for the first two games. But they did have Paul George and Westbrook’s replacement, Dennis Schroder, isn’t a bad player either. There have been questions about Donovan’s coaching style for a long time and a slow start for OKC may really bring those questions to light
STONE COLD DAMIAN LILLARD
Here’s one last NBA observation from Monday night. Blazers PG Damian Lillard arrived to the arena before a 125-124 loss to the Wizards, dressed as famous wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin, complete with custom championship belt, mask, and swagger walk.
Dame pulled up to the game as Stone Cold ?
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) October 23, 2018
Image of the Day
As a Mets fan, I couldn’t let this one slip through the cracks.
Mahomes on wearing the Mahomes Mets jersey:
It’s my dad’s Jersey. He didn’t even know I was going to wear it. It’s a prime time game and hopefully he likes it pic.twitter.com/hFusRJwrhG
— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) October 22, 2018
Stat of the Day
Via CBS – Points through 7 games Todd Gurley: 88 The Buffalo Bills: 81
2019 Rose Bowl Options
If you haven’t already, check out my write up on the Rose Bowl options . Sign me up for something whacky! Who wants to see USC vs Ohio State or Stanford vs Michigan? Boring! Give me Iowa vs Washington State or Utah vs Purdue. Let’s do something different and something crazy.
What to Watch For
- World Series Game 1 between the Dodgers and the Red Sox. Managers Dave Roberts and Alex Cora are very familiar with each other and have a lot of similarities
- Only 3 NBA games on the schedule, including the 3-0 Nuggets facing coach Mike Malone’s former team the Kings, who fired him after only 106 games
- College Football! Sun Belt action – Troy @ South Alabama. Troy is 5-2, 3-0 in the Sun Belt and must win to keep pace with Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. South Alabama is 2-5 and are just trying to find positives in this season as they rebuild the program.