We’re in year 4 of the players drafted in the 2015 NFL draft. Some players you know are good, some are clearly bad and some are still TBD.
Let’s revisit the quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers drafted in 2015.
Jury is still out on the QBs
Buccaneers took Jameis Winston #1 overall and Titans followed with Marcus Mariota at #2. With both QBs are in their 4th year as starting QBs and the jury is still out on both of their long term futures. Winston was suspended three games to start the 2018 season and is surrounded by excellent WRs. He has played well since returning. Marcus Mariota’s weapons have improved each year and the coaching staff was supposed to improve this season but he has seemingly regressed. He has 3 TD and 5 INT
No other “good” QB was drafted – Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion in round 3, Bryce Petty round 4, Brett Hundley round 5, Trevor Siemian in round 7. All three are currently backups and have failed in their full time starting opportunities.
The terrible tale of first round wide receivers
6 WRs were drafted in the first round
- Amari Cooper (4), Kevin White (7), DeVante Parker (14), Nelson Agholor (20), Breshad Perriman (26), Philip Dorsett (29)
Cooper was just traded to the Cowboys and leads the league in drops since the start of 2017; White has played 11 career games and has 23 catches, Parker has never had more than 750 yards or 4 TDs in a season and is on his way out in Miami; Agholor had a breakout season in 2017 and is off to a good start this year; Perriman missed his rookie season and caught just 44 passes from 2016-2017 before being released during training camp; Dorsett was traded last season from Colts to Patriots and caught just 51 passes in two years with the Colts
3 WRs were drafted in the second round
- Only Devin Funchess is with the team who drafted him (Panthers)…and good
- Devin Smith caught 10 passes and Dorial Green-Beckham played 16 games with Titans as a rookie, 15 as an Eagle in his second year and has been out of football ever since
Tyler Lockett was a notable third round pick and Jamison Crowder was a notable fourth round pick.
The best WR drafted in 2015 was Stefon Diggs, 146th overall in the 5th round. 19 WRs were drafted before Diggs
34 total WRs were drafted in 2015 and only 5 can be considered “good” – Diggs, Crowder, Lockett, Funchess, Cooper (arguably)
Incredible run of RBs
3 of the best RBs in football were drafted in 2015.
- Two of them in the first round – Todd Gurley went 10th to the Rams and Melvin Gordon went 15th to the Chargers.
- David Johnson was a third round pick (86th overall) to the Cardinals
- Four RBs went between Gordon and Johnson and all four are still with their current teams – TJ Yeldon, Ameer Abdullah, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson
- Jay Ajayi was a 5th round pick (149 overall)